Muahahaha! I’ve waited months to share this story. In December I decided to enter a competition with the VA to design an app that could help people with kidney disease improve their own health. In February (as I recovered from surgery on my ankle) I found out my design had won first prize! I came up with the name, logo, and style of the app, while also proposing certain functionality and gamification to make the app successful.
This logo is probably never going to be used. I made it for a blog my husband and I thought about starting. The blog idea was to log examples of how regular people (especially parents) can use their free time to accomplish extraordinary things. Unfortunately, we had so much fun doing the extraordinary things that we decided we didn’t want to take time away to blog about it. However, I decided I finished the logo enough to show it off. If I had continued the project, I would have probably made changes to the color scheme. The typography and iconography are basically complete.
I had fun coming up with a concept for this full-page newsprint ad. Family history can be a tricky subject to make visually interesting, since finding good-quality old pictures available for commercial use is hard. That was half the battle bringing this sucker to life. I used both Illustrator and Photoshop to build this project.
I took these pictures and edited them for Jens Trauntvein to use in his bid for city council on promotional materials. Many of the pictures have lots of whitespace. This was intentional, since he would need space to put his logo and other information. These things can be edited down to have less whitespace in post, but it’s a lot harder to photoshop more whitespace in.
The Killpack family started a food recipe website optimized for sharing recipes within groups, with an eye down the road for sharing recipes fit for different food sensitivities. They named the site KillFood.com, and I embarked upon the logo design. We wanted to make something wild and fun without being morbid, and I struck upon a tribal theme. The shapes I used with hollowed out centers for the fruits hearken back to iconic Native American pictograph styles. The font I used is simple and understated, like a good joke. We’re all pleased with the results.
This project was created in Illustrator in August of 2017. The client has a one-man, custom website shop. He wanted a logo that felt masculine and techy, but didn’t feel mass-produced. I decided on the shield shape, hearkening back to handmade weaponry, aiming for a “handcrafted with manly care” feel. The bold, uppercase font pulls in the sleek and clean tech-direction.
This is a personal hobby project I’ve been working on over the couple years. It’s a WordPress site that I’ve developed. All illustrations and logos have been created for the site by myself. Some of the images are pictures I took, but most are curated from stock photography sites. All writing is my own, except for when specifically stated otherwise. Feel free to visit the site yourself.
This is an animation my team made. None of us had ever done animation before, but I think we did a pretty good job. My part in the project was conception, illustration, and story-boarding. I did not do any of the animation myself, but consulted on the animation as it was produced. The release of our video, at our main customer event in 2016, was a huge hit. SD’s Chief Officer in charge of Customer Support ranked it as the #1 best thing that came out of SD in 2016. Our customers liked it so much they asked us to make one for them to use to build their image in their communities and with their boards. It has created a whole new revenue stream for us, because although the generic video is free for all to use, we’ve started selling versions personalized with our customers’ logos. The original video can be seen here. The generic second video created for our customers is here. In the second video I played the same role as before. Ninty-five percent of the illustrations in both videos are mine, although I did not work on the animation. I used Illustrator primarily on this project.
These are a series of posters I created for an 80’s themed party SirsiDynix (a.k.a. SD) is throwing in April. This is part of SD’s biggest customer event of the year. I did all the illustrations myself and the concept for the posters was mine in collaboration with SD’s main marketing writer and SD’s event planner. I created them in Illustrator. Continue reading